2:00PM - 7:00PMSend a message Listen Live
Mum and daughter have lucky escape in Leigh
A MOTHER of two from Leigh is warning people to take care when cooking after she was forced to flee a fire at her home with her two-year-old daughter.
Anne-Marie Richards had only left her grill pan unattended for a couple of minutes when it caught fire at 10.16am on Wednesday, February 29.
"I'd been doing sausages under the grill for Angel and had gone into the front room to cut them up for her.
"I got distracted for a few minutes and before I knew it I could see smoke. My smoke alarms were going off and somehow I'd forgotten to switch the grill off.
"I rang 999 and should have got out of the house straight away but stupid me, I threw water on the fire and the flames went mad!"
Anne-Marie and two-year-old Angel fled the house along with dog Rocky before Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service crews from Hindley and Farnworth arrived.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out before carrying out a Home Safety Check and giving fire safety advice to neighbouring properties.
Watch Manager Issac Olurankinse said: "We put the fire out and the damage was limited to the kitchen.
"But we were unable to get into the house at the back because a tumble drier was stored in front of it. We were able to give Anne-Marie some advice on this in a Home Safety Check.
"She now knows the worst thing you can do is to throw water on a fat fire and that you should get everyone out as soon as smoke alarms sound."
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire Authority, Councillor David Acton said: "Serious fires can start when you are distracted, even for a few seconds, but you should never leave cooking unattended - even to answer the phone or the door.
"When cooking fried food, dry it before you put it in the hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool. Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil and never throw water over the pan.”
After her experience, 24-year-old Anne-Marie has a warning for other mums: "I just want to tell everyone, especially with kids, to be careful in the kitchen.
"I'll never do that again and thank goodness we were OK and I know my smoke alarm works!"
For a free Home Fire Safety Check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, please contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815 or visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx
A man has been jailed for five years after killing a 34-year-old man in Manchester city centre.
The woman who was found dead at a house in Wigan has been formally identified as Elaine Flanagan.
Former miners and their families in St Helens are being invited to share their memories
Detectives from St Helens CID are appealing for witnesses following an assault in the town centre on Thursday, 14 August.
Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was attacked from behind and then robbed, in Worsley Hall, Wigan.
Three fomer St Helens Players have today confirmed that they will form part of the Joining Jack Legends team set to play at the Big One 5 when Wigan Warriors tackle Leeds Rhinos