Vasile Nastase of Findlay Street, Leigh pleaded guilty to rape of a female.
Today he was sentenced at Bolton Crown Court to life imprisonment with a minimum of 10 years, five months in prison.
On Saturday 17 November, a woman was walking along Railway Road in Leigh with Nastase – who she had met in a nightclub earlier that evening. He put his arm around her and despite her pleas to be let go, he forced the victim into an address on Findlay Street where he raped her.
The victim contacted police and Nastase was later arrested and charged.
Detective Constable Chris Waddicar, of GMP’s Wigan district, said: “Nastase preyed on the victim as she was walking alone, and subjected her to a horrifying ordeal.
“Following his arrest, Nastase showing despicable contempt for the victim by continuously denying the offence, but his lies were uncovered following forensic enquiries and he was subsequently charged.
“I’d like to praise the bravery of the victim throughout the case and I hope this sentence brings her some comfort knowing the person responsible is behind bars.”
Greater Manchester is nationally recognised as a model of good practice in terms of support services available to victims.
- If you or someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, we encourage you not to suffer in silence and report it to the police, or a support agency so you can get the help and support available.
- You can call Greater Manchester Police on 101, or alternatively people can refer themselves to St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre on 0161 276 6515, whether or not you want make a police report.
- St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them via Greater Manchester Police, or as a self-referral.
- Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. Confidential helpline: 0161 273 4500.
- Survivors Manchester offers support and counselling for adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape, regardless of when the event happened. Contact 0161 236 2182.